Ancestral Roofs

"In Praise of Older Buildings"

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Urban Barn

I love barns. Standing derelict on uncultivated farms, bleached boards and rusted sheet metal, inspiration for photographers and painters. Abandoned barns always create a touch of nostalgia for me, conjuring happy farm childhood days and a lost way of life.

This lovely structure in Deseronto captured my attention. I didn't investigate its uses, but it's still in good condition. What's interesting to me is that it's a short walk from Main Street, just across the park from the site of the Rathbun home. What's its story, I wonder?
Napanee





Come to think of it, I often notice a  barn (or machine shop, carriage house or drive shed) sitting behind or to one side of a fine old home, just out of sight of visitors, waiting to be useful.



I know you'll ask, wish I could recall





I recall one in Madoc, but did I take its photo? No, I was looking for fine houses, and completely missed the opportunity to take a photo of a lovely piece of architectural history. I shall return, little barn.


Glen Williams - plank on plank

  
Lonsdale

  In the meantime, to get me started, here are   a few more appealing and functional buildings I  photographed in towns.


No comments:

Post a Comment